Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Father Matthew Presents



This is Father Matthew.  He has a series of videos on YouTube that look like something you'd see on the History Channel or Discovery.  I appreciate the production quality and content.  It certainly looks like fun, at least it looks like he had fun doing these videos.  When I think of using Media Tech in the Parish, Father Matthew's videos are very much what I have in mind...almost.  You see, these videos are probably quite appropriate for his context (Rye, NY).  They are entertaining, educational and the young Father Matthew looks like a natural in front of the camera.  If I had a chance to meet and interview Father Matthew, I would ask how effective his use of media has been?  The number of views tallied on YouTube is not that high, but maybe they are relative to the size of the congregation.  No doubt he's using them for workshops, classes, etc., in which case that might limit the number of folks viewing his videos.  In any case, I hope to provide material that is equally as entertaining and educational, but the style and motif will be entirely different.

3 comments:

  1. Tony, Wow! I'd love to have Father Matthew in my congregation, but I can also see you creating your own series which works well for your community.

    I do not believe the tally count of number of views is essential to how good something is. It's the same with podcasts. I think the bigger question to ask is "Does Father Matthew reach the community he is aiming for?" Maybe a question I will email him.

    I love listening to podcasts. Many of them have a small group listening to them weekly, but to me they provide food for thought as much, and sometimes more, than the ones with large followings.

    As long as we are reaching our intended audience while still being open to opportunities to reach others, then I'd say whatt he is doing is great. It's these examples which keep me thinking about new ideas of how I can use social media in a church setting that works for the area I'm in.

    Thanks again. May your day be blessed as you bless those around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Father Matthew's work here. I bet his congregation loves him too. I agree with you the focus should be on reaching our intended audience, whether they be in church or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I greatly admire this video particularly for the creativity it presents and the "amusement factor" that it produces. I wish I knew how to create a video like this so I could utilize it in my own ministry work. Think about how you could get the youth involved with the videos and post them so they feel that they are a part of something. The benefit of these videos is the editing process. You can place things together in such a way that allows you to dictate precisely how you want the image to come across.

    ReplyDelete