Saturday, June 4, 2011

Why "Pizza Church"?

The Pizza Church is the name my son, Everett, used to describe this small Lutheran Church in Sylmar, CA. We were new members at a Baptist mega-church at the time and I was just trying to help the choir with some ideas about performing at this small Lutheran Church.  I would bring Everett to the rehearsals and the members of the choir would bring pizza for dinner, hence Everett identified this church as the "Pizza Church".  This decision to help this little Lutheran Church in Sylmar, CA changed my life forever.

As I enter into this newest phase of my journey, I couldn't help but pay a permanent homage to my humble beginnings with my association with the Lutheran Church and my endeavor to be one of its ordained leaders.  Having the ability to communicate, spread the gospel of Christ, and be accessible requires one to have some ability to use sites like this.  I look forward to expanding on this site and pray that it will be a blessing to anyone who would journey or stumble onto its pages.

4 comments:

  1. Tony - good to meet you. Tell Everett I love the pizza church! I am also in Ed Media - looking forward to the face to face meet up this weekend. I will soon have my blog live (bestillandblog.wordpress.com). I'm using your blog to practice posting a comment, and I think I've got it down! Peace, Libbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everett and Xavier think alike. He calls Nativity, our Contextual Ed site, "the popcorn church," because they serve popcorn there before their Saturday night services.

    On the note of pizza, I couldn't help but think of how often people congregate around it - parties, movies, TV sporting events. It's like the bread from Jesus' context, in ours. This is portrayed often in the French Canadian film, "Jesus of Montreal."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of those nick names! Kids have such a simple way of things...maybe that's why I love kids ministry so much....they just make things, people, so simple. More than that, their faith is so that way. They trust in Christ. They believe what He says.
    Popcorn, pizza, food...church activitiies. They all seem to go together, don't they? Sometimes I wonder if it's bribery, but then I think, people ARE coming to the church. Even if it's just for the meal, they still hear about Jesus. That's what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad the pizza church became a part of your family's life. I think there is a reason why food is part of our ministry; it brings us together in ways which just teaching never could.

    ReplyDelete